The table presents information on the quantity of visitors to Edinburgh Zoo, as well as their satisfaction levels, before and after the introduction of two pandas.
Overall, between these two years, there was a rise in the number of people visiting the zoo as well as an increase in the satisfaction levels of those visitors.
In the year before the pandas were introduced, there were 74,000 visitors. Of these 74,000, 50% reported a positive experience. Indeed, 10% of respondents said that they felt very satisfied while the satisfied visitors made up the largest group (with 40% of the total). This left 50% of respondents, of which 45% expressed dissatisfaction: 35% were dissatisfied, while 10% were very dissatisfied. Finally, 5% of the visitors did not respond at all to the survey.
A rather different scenario can be seen after the pandas arrived. First of all, the level of visitors increased by 8,000 (from 74,000 to 82,000). In conjunction, the quantity of visitors who reported feeling very satisfied with their experience rose considerably (10% – 35% in the two years respectively). With satisfied visitors continuing to make up 40% and 5% not responding, this left 20% of visitors who stated that they were not satisfied. Of this 20%, 15% reported feeling dissatisfied and only 5% felt very dissatisfied, representing a marked decrease from the 35% and 5% reported previously.