Information we collect
When you visit the Website you provide us with two types of information: (i) personal information you knowingly choose to disclose that is collected by us and (ii) use information collected by us as you interact with the Website.
When you register with the Website, you provide us with certain personal information, such as your name, your email address, as well as sensitive information such as credit card information and any other personal or preference information that you provide to us.
Technologies such as: cookies, beacons, tags and scripts are used by the Website and our partners, affiliates, or analytics or service providers. These technologies are used in analyzing trends, administering the Website, tracking users’ movements around the Website and to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole. We may receive reports based on the use of these technologies by these companies on an individual as well as aggregated basis.
As is true of most websites, we gather certain information automatically and store it in log files. This information may include internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, and/or clickstream data. We may combine this automatically collected log information with other information we collect about you. We do this to improve services we offer you, to improve marketing, analytics, or Website functionality.
Behavioral targeting / re-targeting
We partner with a third party to either display advertising on our Website or to manage our advertising on other sites. Our third party partner may use technologies such as cookies to gather information about your activities on this Website and other sites in order to provide you advertising based upon your browsing activities and interests.
Local storage objects (HTML5)
We and third parties with whom we partner to provide certain features on our Website or to display advertising based upon your Web browsing activity use LSOs such as HTML 5 to collect and store information.
Various browsers may offer their own management tools for removing HTML5 LSOs.
Use of information obtained by the website
We use this information to:
- Fulfill your order
- Send you an order confirmation
- Assess the needs of your business to determine suitable products
- Send you requested product or service information
- Send product updates or warranty information
- Respond to customer service requests
- Administer your account
- Send you periodical email newsletters about joint ventures, significant updates to the Website or marketing communications
- Send you marketing communications
- Administer contests and sweepstakes you entered, and notify you if you won
- Respond to your questions and concerns
- Improve our Website and marketing efforts
- Conduct research and analysis
- Display content based upon your interests
- Facilitate your transactions with other users
- Enable you to post your resume, search job postings, and contact or be contacted by prospective employers
- List you in our member directory made available only to other members
- List you in our publicly accessible member directory. If you do not want to be listed in our directory contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may choose to stop receiving our newsletter or marketing emails by following the unsubscribe instructions included in these emails or you can contact us at email@example.com
We enable you to create a profile, and share information such as messages, photos, and videos with others. Please note that we cannot control the actions of others with whom you may choose to share your pages and information.
When you register with the Website, you create your own account. Your username and email will be attached to material you upload on the Website.
We may provide your personal information to companies that provide services to help us with our business activities such as shipping your order or offering customer service. These companies are authorized to use your personal information only as necessary to provide these services to us.
We may also disclose your personal information
- in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
- as required by law such as to comply with a subpoena, or similar legal process;
- when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud, or respond to a government request;
- if English Pro Tips is involved in a merger, acquisition, or sale of all or a portion of its assets, you will be notified via email and/or a prominent notice on our Website of any change in ownership; or to any other third party with your prior consent to do so.
We may share your personal information with other companies so that they can market their products or services to you. If you do not want us to share your personal information with these companies, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We make your contact information available to other users that you transact with on this Website to help complete the transaction.
Our Website offers publicly accessible blogs or community forums. You should be aware that any information you provide in these areas may be read, collected, and used by others who access them. To request removal of your personal information from our blog or community forum, contact us at email@example.com In some cases, we may not be able to remove your personal information, in which case we will let you know if we are unable to do so and why.
Changing or removing information
Upon request, English pro tips will provide you with information about whether we hold any of your personal information. To request this information please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with a link to the identified material/content. We will respond to your request within 5 business days.
Users may modify, delete or remove any of their account information at any time by logging into the My Account page. Information will be updated immediately. Individuals who wish to deactivate their Website account may do so on the My Account page.
Protecting information and security
The Website takes appropriate precautions to protect our users’ information. Your account information is located on a secured server behind a firewall. Because email and instant messaging are not recognized as secure communications, the Website requests that you not send private information to us by email.
The security of your personal information is important to us. When you enter sensitive information (such as a credit card number) on our order forms, we encrypt the transmission of that information using secure socket layer technology (SSL).
We follow generally accepted standards to protect the personal information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure, however. Therefore, we cannot guarantee its absolute security. If you have any questions about security on our Website, you can contact us at email@example.com
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services. If you wish to cancel your account or request that we no longer use your information to provide you services contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
If you choose to use our referral service to tell a friend about our Website, we will ask you for your friend’s name and email address. We will automatically send your friend a one-time email inviting him or her to visit the Website. English pro tips stores this information for the sole purpose of sending emails and tracking the success of our referral program.
Your friend may contact us at email@example.com to request that we remove this information from our database.
Social media widgets
Single sign on
You can log in to our Website using sign-in services such as Facebook Connect or an Open ID provider. These services will authenticate your identity and provide you the option to share certain personal information with us such as your name and email address to pre-populate our sign up form. Services like Facebook Connect give you the option to post information about your activities on this Website to your profile page to share with others within your network.
The profile you create on our Website will be publicly accessible unless otherwise indicated. You may change the privacy settings of your profile through your account portal. If you wish to request removal of your information from our directory, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
To remove unauthorized profiles, please send an email to email@example.com
If you are under 13 years of age, then please do not use or access the Website at any time or in any manner. If English pro tips learns that personal information of persons under 13 years of age has been collected through the Website, then English pro tips will take the appropriate steps to delete this information.
If you are a resident of the European Union (“EU”), United Kingdom, Lichtenstein, Norway, or Iceland, you may have additional rights under the EU General Data Protection Regulation (the “GDPR”) with respect to your Personal Data, as outlined below.
For this section, we use the terms “Personal Data” and “processing” as they are defined in the GDPR, but “Personal Data” generally means information that can be used to individually identify a person, and “processing” generally covers actions that can be performed in connection with data such as collection, use, storage and disclosure. Company will be the controller of your Personal Data processed in connection with the Website.
What Personal Data Do We Collect From You? We collect Personal Data about you when you provide such information directly to us, when third parties such as our business partners or service providers provide us with Personal Data about you, or when Personal Data about you is automatically collected in connection with your use of our Website.
Information we collect directly from you: We receive Personal Data directly from you when you provide us with such Personal Data. For example, you provide us with your username, email address, and/or Facebook user ID when you login into the Website. When you pay for certain English Pro Tips features, you provide us with Personal Data such as your name, credit card information, PayPal information, address, and other payment related information. If you populate your English Pro Tips profile, you might provide us information including your first and last name, phone number, gender, year of birth, university choice, academic major, profile picture, and current and past school and course information. Finally, if you receive payments from English Pro Tips, you would provide us with additional Personal Data including your tax address and tax identification number.
Information we automatically collect when you use our Website: When you use the Website, we automatically collect some information such as your IP address, browser and computer information such as browser type, version, operating system, time zone setting, cookie number, and your device ID. We collect information about your usage of English Pro Tips such as the pages or content you view, your searches, and other actions.
How Do We Use Your Personal Data? We process Personal Data to operate, improve, understand and personalize our Website. For example, we use Personal Data to:
- Create and manage user profiles
- Communicate with you about the Website
- Process orders
- Contact you about Service announcements, updates or offers
- Provide support and assistance for the Website
- Improve and/or personalize website content and communications
- Meet contract or legal obligations
- Respond to user inquiries
- Fulfill user requests
- Comply with our legal or contractual obligations
- Resolve disputes
- Protect against or deter fraudulent, illegal or harmful actions
- Enforce our Terms of Service
We will only process your Personal Data if we have a lawful basis for doing so. Lawful bases for processing include consent, contractual necessity and our “legitimate interests” or the legitimate interest of others, as further described below.
- Legitimate Interest: We process the other Personal Data listed above when we believe it furthers the legitimate interest of us or third parties.Examples of these legitimate interests include:
- Operation and improvement of our business, products and services
- Marketing of our products and services
- Provision of customer support
- Protection from fraud or security threats
- Compliance with legal obligations
- Completion of corporate transactions
- Consent: In some cases, we process Personal Data based on the consent you expressly grant to us at the time we collect such data. When we process Personal Data based on your consent, it will be expressly indicated to you at the point and time of collection.
- Other Processing Grounds: From time to time we may also need to process Personal Data to comply with a legal obligation, if it is necessary to protect the vital interests of you or other data subjects, or if it is necessary for a task carried out in the public interest.
- Payment processors
- Fraud prevention service providers
- Ad networks
- Analytics service providers
- Staff augmentation and contract personnel
- Hosting service providers
- Co-location service providers
- Telecommunications service providers
- Financial and tax audit service providers
We also share Personal Data when necessary to complete a transaction initiated or authorized by you or provide you with a product or service you have requested. In addition to those set forth above, these parties also include:
- Other users (where you post information publicly or as otherwise necessary to effect a transaction initiated or authorized by you through the Website)
- Social media services (if you interact with them through your use of the Website)
- Third party business partners who you access through the Website
- Other parties authorized by you
We also share Personal Data when we believe it is necessary to:
- Comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies
- Protect us, our business or our users, for example to enforce our terms of service, prevent spam or other unwanted communications and investigate or protect against fraud
- Maintain the security of our products and services
We also share information with third parties when you give us consent to do so.
Last, we share Personal Data with our affiliates or other members of our corporate family. Furthermore, if we choose to buy or sell assets, user information is typically one of the transferred business assets. Moreover, if we, or substantially all of our assets, were acquired, or if we go out of business or enter bankruptcy, user information would be one of the assets that is transferred or acquired by a third party, and we would share Personal Data with the party that is acquiring our assets. You acknowledge that such transfers may occur, and that any acquirer of us or our assets may continue to use your Personal Information as set forth in this policy.
How Long Do We Retain Your Personal Data? We retain Personal Data about you for as long as you have an open account with us or as otherwise necessary to provide you the Website. In some cases we retain Personal Data for longer, if doing so is necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes or collect fees owed, or is otherwise permitted or required by applicable law, rule or regulation. Afterwards, we retain some information in a depersonalized or aggregated form but not in a way that would identify you personally.
What Security Measures Do We Use? We seek to protect Personal Data using appropriate technical and organizational measures based on the type of Personal Data and applicable processing activity.
What Rights Do You Have Regarding Your Personal Data? You have certain rights with respect to your Personal Data, including those set forth below. Please note that in some circumstances, we may not be able to fully comply with your request, such as if it is frivolous or extremely impractical, if it jeopardizes the rights of others, or if it is not required by law, but in those circumstances, we will still respond to notify you of such a decision. In some cases, we may also need to you to provide us with additional information, which may include Personal Data, if necessary to verify your identity and the nature of your request.
- Access: You can request more information about the Personal Data we hold about you and request a copy of such Personal Data. You can also access certain of your Personal Data by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rectification: If you believe that any Personal Data we are holding about you is incorrect or incomplete, you can request that we correct or supplement such data. You can correct some of this information directly by emailing email@example.com
- Erasure: You can request that we erase some or all of your Personal Data from our systems.
- Withdrawal of Consent: If we are processing your Personal Data based on your consent (as indicated at the time of collection of such data), you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. Please note, however, that if you exercise this right, you may have to then provide express consent on a case-by-case basis for the use or disclosure of certain of your Personal Data, if such use or disclosure is necessary to enable you to utilize some or all of our Website.
- Portability: You can ask for a copy of your Personal Data in a machine-readable format. You can also request that we transmit the data to another controller where technically feasible.
- Objection: You can contact us to let us know that you object to the further use or disclosure of your Personal Data for certain purposes, such as for direct marketing purposes.
- Restriction of Processing: You can ask us to restrict further processing of your Personal Data. Right to File Complaint: You have the right to lodge a complaint about Company’s practices with respect to your Personal Data with the supervisory authority of your country or EU Member State.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns relating to our Privacy Shield Certification.